Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A Matchline Made In Hell

Gobbledygook,

So the massive server farm project came back approved with zero comments on my side, and approved with some minuscule changes on the other guy's side (so minuscule that I went ahead and made them).  Amazeballs...

We are set to roll with the second (virtually identical) project (basically $50K to cut and paste - and since it ties into the first building we will actually remove some equipment).

Then, this morning, some questions came up over whether or not some of the piping was necessary due to a drop ceiling in an area that is being covered by adjacent pipes (not sure who initiated the questions, but I've had to waste time this morning getting everyone on the same page (literally - showing them discrepancies between the Architectural, Electrical, and Fire Alarm drawings).

That's when I noticed the funniest fucking shit.  The 'engineer' (using that term in the loosest possible context) had already issued some really sad looking drawings the first go around that had a number of fuckups that I catalogued in my post 'Nobody Gives A Fuck About Anything Anymore'

One of the most glaring (yet - ironically, least consequential) ones was that their matchline was in the wrong damn place.  We had sent a marked up set showing their fuckups before a meeting, at which point the engineer looked at them and said 'yeah, this looks like the stuff I told them to fix for the next building'.

Apparently somebody told them 'yeah - about that', and soon after - they released a revised set.  I briefly glanced at it, and saw that, yes, they had fixed the majority of the fuckups that we had pointed out.  I didn't bother to go too deep though, because I already knew my design was superior, and I was done looking at their crap - until today.

Whoever their BIMtard was took a look at the misplaced matchline (that was halfway down the second page, rather than at the top of the page) and decided 'oh - the matchline is in the right place, so I'm just showing duplicate info on the first and second pages' and deleted everything above the matchline on the second page (clouded it and everything).

Now, if you print out the first and second pages, fold them over to the matchlines, and butt them up against each other to see the whole building - voila!  A whole section of the building is FUCKING MISSING.  Rather than just moving the matchline to the right place, they FUCKED IT UP WORSE THAN IT ALREADY WAS!!!

 I really wish I had noticed it back when they first issued it, but I was getting pretty exasperated with them at that point, and I would've probably jumped in my car to take a road trip to punch someone in the face if I had seen it then.  Now I can just laugh (and hope to god that whatever the fuck is going on right now doesn't waste any more of my time.

As far as we could tell, there is unnecessary pipe in one area (ironically there isn't enough in another - but nobody seems to give a fuck about that - yet).  This led to additional equipment due to the lengths of the pipe - which I'm sure someone, somewhere gives a fuck about, but I haven't heard one way or the other.

The result, if this pipe is indeed excess to needs, is that we would no longer need the extra equipment (even if the area that is deficient gets corrected), but if we leave it, and someone finally gets around to giving a fuck, it's going to look completely retarded to have all that extra equipment (four devices that can handle four pipes each only handling one pipe each).

To add an additional layer of irony, the company that manufactures the equipment did a layout way back in 2017 that did not show the excess pipe, but DID show pipe in the deficient area - and for some reason we're chasing the tail of a firm that is currently missing a nearly 9,000 s.f. section from their drawings.

Oh - and I'm supposed to be working on a seven story hotel refit that one of the people involved in the aforementioned project laid out based on existing conditions as a one-for-one replacement, but then the salesman came back and said it needs to meet code (which it currently does not - kind of the opposite of the dumbfuckery on the school refit I recently did).

The guy who did the layout actually drew the entire hotel floor plan in a program called 'Visio' that he seems to love - but that has some pretty serious limitations.  It took a while to clean up in CAD, and while rough, as far as 2D layouts are concerned it was easily on par with the garbage being turned out by Revitards (better even).


Anyway... fuck stupid people, fuck incompetent people, fuck Revit, fuck Autodesk, and fuck anyone else who gets in my way.

-SF

Next Time: Another One Bites The Dick

2 comments:

  1. little fucking computer programmer geeks never got laid in high school, still live in their grandma's basement playing video games. Ive got a message for you guys, get the fuck out of my industry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay Zallan you fuckstick
    try getting your teeth done because you smell like rotting teeth
    you are a disgusting moron

    ReplyDelete