Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Nobody Gives a Fuck About Anything Anymore

Gertings,


  • It has come to my immediate attention that there is an almost complete and utter lack of fucks being given these days.


Within the course of the last week, I ran across more fuckups by more idiots than should be statistically possible, leading me to believe that eating lead-based paint chips has become the new 'Tide Pod Challenge'.

The first (that I may have mentioned in a previous post) came up a while back,when a (government) client came asking for dimensions for a panel cabinet that we were providing.  My first inclination was to tell them 'look at the data sheet we supplied in the submittal moron', but I decided to take a look at it myself first - and sure enough, while there are copious dimensions on the detail for the panel, they were sorely lacking in completion (and as I would find later on - accuracy).

Now, most people wouldn't notice, care, or whatever - they would just get the cabinet, and install it.  In this particular case, this cabinet was being installed to replace an older cabinet, and all of the conduit in the building is threaded, so they wanted to make absolutely sure about how the new panel would fit - but unfortunately the data sheet only showed dimensions for the top two slotted mounting holes, and the relative dimensions for the knock-outs for connecting conduits.

I was supplied with a CAD file - and I was like 'oh cool - I can just dimension this thing and 'voila', but I immediately started to notice that it had almost zero to do with anything in reality.  It had obviously been drawn as a basic schematic, and very few (like one) of the dimensions were correct.  I contacted the manufacturer's regional rep - and he seemed to be at a loss to provide me with anything more than what the data sheet showed, but by coincidence we received a panel for another project that was identical to the one that we were specifying for this project.

I took the dimensions off of it, made a detail, and sent it on - and I thought that would be the last of it, but then the client came back asking why there was a discrepancy between the data sheet and my detail.  The data sheet showed a 25" width - but the actual dimensions of the cabinet were 24" (inside) and 26-1/2" to the flanges on the front.  I pulled the cabinet back out and had a guy hold the tape measure on it so I could take pictures and forwarded these on.

When I started to put the cabinet away - a sheet of paper fell out of the box, and what the fuck do you know?  There was a complete set of dimensions - for not just this cabinet, but for all of the cabinets in that product line - and what's more, they even appeared to be correct!   I scanned this sheet in and sent it along, filed it on our server, and then sent it back to the manufacturer to ask them why the hell they didn't simply provide me with this sheet when I came asking about it (oh - and to tell them to fix their goddamned data sheet and CAD files).

With that debacle (maybe) out of my way, I started work on a massive data center (one of several we are getting ready to do).  The first step was to take an engineer's attempt at laying out an elaborate building-wide system, and run (or more accurately - rerun) calculations to make sure that it will work as shown.   It was going swimmingly until I got to the large server room, and I started to notice that whoever did the layout (almost certainly in Revit) hadn't really been paying close attention - and the engineer that signed off on it hadn't looked at it that closely either.

The first thing I noticed was that their match lines didn't match up (thus negating the point in 'match lines').  This was a minor quibble though, as I started to notice inconsistencies, missing information, duplicate (and overlapping) information, and several areas where equipment wasn't even close to being documented correctly - resulting in the counts that were used to price the project being off.  They weren't massive errors, but they were sufficient that if I were to allow my drawings (and calculations) to go out 'as is', problems would absolutely arise when it came time to install and commission the system.

On top of this, calculating it 'as is' would result in running 5-6 times as many sets of calculations than it would if the inconsistencies and errors were corrected - so we marked up a set and sent it off as an RFI to the engineer (and that's where it sits for now - although the deadline probably isn't going to get pushed back much - if at all, so I get to decide whether or not to go forward 'as is', or make the corrections that I assume the engineer will agree need to be made.

Neither option is particularly appealing until we actually hear back, but the guy sending the RFI on is aware that it is holding us up, and promised to fast-track it.  We'll see if that actually happens - but in the meantime I still have plenty of other things to fix (like the fact that there is no consistency to the distances they put between devices (going down a row the dimensions will vary from 14'-2" to 14'-6" to 13'-8" - for no discernible reason).

 Someone was either cutting and pasting, or just haphazardly slapping stuff into the drawing (or model), and I don't know (or care) if they are Revit families, or just 2D linework in Revit.  Either way, they are fucking wrong, and it's wasting my time and mental effort.

Fuck these people - and fuck Revit.

-SkullFuck

-Next Time: OCD Screw Holes

P.S. - Every single sheet in this engineers set ended up with a long sheet # (to designate which data center it was for) which resulted in the sheet # wrapping onto a second line.  Instead of shrinking the text size down - the top line completely overlaps the words 'Sheet Number', and the second line is butted directly up next to the discipline name.  It's legible, but looks like unadulterated ass - possibly fixable, maybe not - but fucks to give obviously came in short supply after this firm decided to Revitize.

No comments:

Post a Comment