Friday, March 21, 2014

Craptacular Spectactular

So I was making a list of 'positive' things in Revit (other than it's exceptional ability to destroy my concentration, prevent coordination, cause frustration, kill schedules, kill budgets, feed peoples fragile egos, force people to take sides, waste money/time/mental effort, and prevent me from being able to give a shit about projects), and I came up with a few items.

1) The 'bump' tool.

I've probably mentioned this before - but the ability to use the arrow keys to move items around once they have been placed is very helpful.  The fact that it is not a 'command' makes it even better because I can rotate/edit/etc. and then bump without having to reselect the item(s) or go in and out of the command.  Being able to press 'shift' to increase the distance each press of the arrow key moves the item is helpful as well.  It's ironic (although understandable) that a lot of Reviteers are taught to avoid this tool - since it doesn't move in set increments (they vary depending on your level of zoom) although it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to make it to where you could specify the increments (regardless of zoom level).

2) Automatically extending linework/wires that are joined or attached to device families or other linework.

I like how you can grab a device/line/wire, move it, and have everything 'stretch' with it.  It was possible to do this in ACAD, but you had to select all of the devices/linework, and it could sometimes be difficult to make it do what you wanted to (necessitating going back and manually moving/trimming/extending/tweaking).

3)...

I tried to think of a number 3 - but it pretty much devolved into smart-ass 'positives' that were in fact back-handed compliments (most of which I've posted on previously) like 'crashes quickly'.  If I think of any more in the future, I will try to post them here.

It's telling that even though I've been using Revit in some way or another for years (and almost daily for the last couple of months - although not by choice, I assure you) that I can't even think of three fucking things that I like about it (and these are far outweighed by the sheer amount of half-ass bullshit).

A huge part of what drives my hatred of it (this is actually true of a number of things I deal with) is that I KNOW it could be better.  It would just require the people developing the software to stop relying on the converted to shove it down the throats of the uninitiated, and start implementing some of the ideas that I can guarantee have been pouring in since day one.

People who know me are often surprised at how calmly I can deal with situations that would leave them at a complete loss - but then flip out over what they consider 'minor issues'.  To an outsider I probably appear schizophrenic - and it took me a long time to figure out what was really going on.

I set (sometimes unrealistic) standards for certain things - but they are based purely on my expectations.  If I have low expectations for something, I will not tend to get as angry about it - however, if I have set high expectations, then look the fuck out.


In the case of Revit, I have (and have always had) goddamned high expectations.  Seriously - if I didn't give shit, you wouldn't see me ranting about it.  If it were the first computer program (design or otherwise) I had ever used, and I didn't have a frame of reference, then I might be like 'maybe that's the best they can do'.

Instead, I've got freeware phone apps that were better designed and easier to use (hell, I've got motherfucking ACAD on my goddamned phone for christ's sake).  At the end of the day, no matter what happens - Revit is SHIT, has always been SHIT, and will always be SHIT.

Anyone telling you otherwise is either trying to sell it to you, or sell you on it so that you can share their suffering - and they are suffering, make no mistake about it.

They can also go fuck themselves - and so can you if you disagree.

Eat Shit & Die Motherfuckers,

-The Cranium Copulator

No comments:

Post a Comment