Wednesday, February 1, 2017


Here we go again.

I picked up another project - two buildings, one three story with 72 units, and one four story with 63 units.  The plans were obviously done in Revit, however there was no attempt at making the typical units based on anything in the buildings.

It was immediately apparent something was wrong though, because they had still attempted to overlay the typical units on the floor plan - and in every single unit, the stove/range extended nearly all the way through the adjacent wall.

What struck me as odd was that I had reviewed a .pdf set and hadn't noticed it looking as fucked up as the plans I was setting up to use, so I took a closer look at them and was amused to find that the way they had made it work was by squeezing the stove/range to fit (leaving the eyes/burners on the range oval shaped).

I supposed it's possible that the width of the range is now correct based on the model they are going to install - however it still looked stupid on the .pdfs and completely retarded on my plans, and even though nobody is installing countertops based on my plan, I'm not about to send out my drawings looking like ass.

Quickly stopping to thank my lucky stars that I wasn't constrained by the idiotic shit that someone else crapped out in Revit, I dove in and fixed the plans (along with any number of other fuckups that have apparently become acceptable since Revit turned everyone's brains to shit).

Even though there was no difference between the building dimensions down both sides of the corridors, they had still somehow fucked up the dimensions within individual units (it would have been unnoticeable except when I attempted to align multiple ranges to their adjacent walls).

I'm still waiting on information to complete some of the systems, but I went ahead and got as far along as I could, and made a few guesses to fill in the blanks so that when that information is forthcoming I can either pat myself on the back for guessing correctly (or more likely end up having to adjust it accordingly).

Again - the ability to sketch out multiple options quickly, and then adjust and insert the necessary one(s) is invaluable to my line of work.  I've already sized conduit sleeves into the individual units, so the only other thing I will have to do once I verify the rest of the information is to size sleeves through firewalls in the corridors based on the number and types of cabling going through each.

I'm sure someone somewhere has figured out how to make Revit calculate conduit sizes based on fill charts, but I can generally guess pretty close, and then run calculations to double-check.  Of course, I will also leave some spare space - since invariably, someone will forget to tell me about something (or tell me wrong).

One other task I will have to undertake (as with any hotel/apartment) is to grab the person responsible for designing the building, shake them out of their Revit stupor, and force them to give me accurate counts on the number of handicap accessible, hearing impaired, etc. units (as opposed to what they are currently showing on their drawings - which is almost guaranteed to be wrong).

Not that they won't change the number/location of these later - but I want to have it in writing, so if we have to go back and change things, we can demand additional payment (in addition to not having to worry about someone making the mistake of questioning our ability to design our systems correctly).

If experience has taught me anything, it's that someone will inevitably fuck up, and the first thing they will do is start looking for someone to toss under the bus.

And goddamned if it's going to be me.

Fuck Autodesk, Fuck Revit, and Fuck Reviteers.  Eat a bag of dicks!


Next Time:More Typical Bullshit


  1. have you ever tried sketchup MEP?

  2. I haven't - although after briefly reviewing documentation about it, I can't imagine it has much to offer.

    Unless, of course, you just want to make a fuckton of busy work and drag a project out way past its due date and budget.

    I understand that people are trying to fill what someone somewhere determined was a need for highly detailed 3d models of projects.

    The reality is that both the system design I do now, and the electrical design I used to do can be accomplished without the need for any of that.

    The thousands of sets of plans I have been designing over the last 15 years have been used for design development, code review/approval, pricing/bidding, and construction with no problems - and the handful that were completed using 3D/BIM processes had zero value added.

    Sometimes less really is more.