Tuesday, October 8, 2019

How Much Shit Could a Nitwit Submit If A Nitwit Could Submit Shit?

What's Crackin?

Well, no new Revit news to report here - just a half a day wasted trying to figure out WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO TWO PROJECTS WE SUPPOSEDLY SUBMITTED SIX MONTHS AGO.

Of course the guy who did the projects goes on vacation - leaving me to field a call from an irate salesman screaming about 'I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET THESE PROJECTS APPROVED FOR SIX MONTHS!!!!  He actually tried to claim there were THREE projects, but after a quick check only two of them were actually done (the third is still waiting on info showing an equipment layout - which he apparently requested, only for them to try to resend the lighting plan... again).

I have access to the guy's computer who is on vacation, so I dig through his clusterfuck of e-mails back and forth, and talk to a girl in the front office who specifically remembered having our old office manager come back and sign off on the drawings (since he is the only guy with a Georgia license), but either those drawings got lost in the mail, or they were never shipped, or some damn thing.

I checked out UPS shipping records, but there was nothing.  It's possible someone ran them out after hours to a UPS or FedEx store, and there is a tracking number laying around somewhere, but nobody bothered to make note of that.

I talked to the plans review office in Atlanta, who apparently only have one engineer for the entire goddamned state (for this kind of project), and noticed while I was going through the menus that they have the wrong suite # on their transmittal sheet that you have to fill out in order to submit.  I thought for a minute that may have been the problem, but they assured me that they would've still received them even if it had gone to the wrong suite (although I don't know if I believe that or not).

So, all of this bullshit basically resulted in me having to re-plot two copies of both projects (they have to have two hardcopies, wet signed, and mailed to them - in 20 fucking 19.  Nearly every other jurisdiction we deal with has gotten on last centuries bandwagon and have some kind of ability to accept drawings/submittals online (although they vary from 'barely functioning'  to 'written in crayon').

Then I got to print out a set of data sheets for each project, and finish filling out the transmittals (whoever did them the first time made a number of mistakes and failed to fill in several fields).  Now I'm waiting to find out if the guy who signed them last time can swing by and sign them (again) so that I can cram them in boxes and send them off.

The ONE engineer they have reviewing shit is apparently WAY behind (big surprise there) so they will most likely sit somewhere until they are fucking lost again.  The only difference is that THIS TIME I will have done it all myself, and will have a tracking  # to reference.

While I was writing this I received a .pdf showing equipment layouts for the third project - which is absolutely not going to be at the top of my (or anyone else's) list to do - but whenever we get it done, it will have to go through the same process as the other two.

Oh well - at least it wasn't Revit.

Crackalackin!

-$kü££ƒü¢k

Epilogue:

So, the guy who was on vacation returns from vacation, and after discussing it with him, it turns out that over a month ago, he had e-mailed a scanned signed set of drawings to this dipshit, who didn't even acknowledge that this had been done (I found these sets on our server, but didn't actually see the e-mail where he had sent them).

Now, these scanned drawings would've been wholly insufficient to meet the requirements of the AHJ reviewing them - even if he printed hardcopies (due to the requirement for them to be 'wet signed'), but the guy was acting like a) nothing had been sent, and b) we were supposed to know about the submission process 'eight months ago' (per the snotty e-mail he sent the guy who got back from vacation).

Now - here's where it gets hilarious.  I go ahead and have the two sets wet signed, include two sets of specifications for the job, finish filling out the required transmittal form, and ship the whole thing to the AHJ via UPS.  A few days later I get two packages back, and I'm like 'There's no way in hell they actually reviewed these - so I'm hesitantly opening them, expecting to see some kind of 'you didn't submit these properly' response that some AHJ's love to do.

Instead, there is a a letter in each package informing us that their office (the state office) doesn't review these drawings, and they need to be submitted to the local AHJ.  I scanned these letters in and allowed the guy who had received the 'durrr... you were supposed to know how to submit these 8 months ago... durrr....' e-mail from the salesman.  He sent it on with 'FYI' in the subject line, and no message.

I waited a day or so, and no response (typical).  Finally, I called the salesman, and he is totally nonplussed - and while it was not entirely his fault, since he had submitted some similar projects before and they DID have to be submitted to the state office, he (and/or the GC) had dropped the ball BIGTIME in giving us the runaround.

I showed the letters to several people around our office, and every single response was 'what a dumbass' (or my favorite - 'he doesn't know his head from his ass').  They are now hanging on my wall - right next to an e-mail read receipt from another idiot salesman that I received a full six months after having sent a completed project.

Next Time: SALESFORCE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment