Friday, October 19, 2012

Automatic Update Hate

I think I might've mentioned this before, but it really deserves its own post.

I open Revit, attempt to open a file (usually just to take a quick look at something - since I still refuse to waste my fucking time and mental energy dicking with the half-ass piece of shit that is Revit), and it informs me that a 'one time process' of upgrading is occuring.

That's pretty fucking cool right?  I don't have to do anything - and it automatically updates.

That is, unless there are other people using older releases - which will fuck them up if I allow it to update and then save it.

Besides taking a LONG FUCKING TIME to do it, it can't ask me if I want to do it first?  Why the fuck not?  There might be a setting that can be changed to prevent this from happening, or to at least ask the fucking question 'do you really want to do this?' (it's got enough other useless apocryphal errors and messages) but after a quick search online, I'm not wasting another second trying to figure it out, or digging through the thousands upon thousands of useless fucking settings in this goddamn cocksucking piece of shit.

I just go to task manager and end that fucker.  I do give Revit credit for one thing though - it closes extremely quickly when you tell it to fuck off (I've probably mentioned before - but it seems to close especially quickly when you accidentally close the last view you have open - another time a little 'you are about to close this file, which means you are going to have to waste 5 minutes waiting for it come back up again' mesage would be goddamned helpful).

Fortunately I still have access to older Revit, but if I don't know what version a file is in, the process usually goes like this:

Step 1) Open Revit 2013
Step 2) Come back from a coffee break, and open the file.
Step 3) Notice that it is automatically trying to update the file (hopefully right away - since I usually go take another coffee break, use the bathroom, re-arrange all of my files, rotate the tires on my car, and water the plants while waiting for it to open).
Step 4) Kill that fucker.
Step 5) Open older Revit, and repeat the whole process over again.

All this, just so I can find out that an architect has fucked something up beyond all recognition, so I'm dead in the fucking water... again.

FUCK REVIT, FUCK THE REVIT DEPARTMENT AT AUTODESK, FUCK THEIR MOTHERS, FUCK THEIR MOTHERS MOTHERS, FUCK THEIR WIVES, FUCK THEIR CHILDREN, FUCK THEIR AUNTS, UNCLES, COUSINS, AND IN-LAWS.

AND ESPECIALLY FUCK ANYONE USING IT -YOU ARE THE FUCKING PROBLEM.

2 comments:

  1. most people with minimal competency in Revit know it is version specific and name their project files accordingly. I can go to any Revit project and immediately know what version to use. It really isnt rocket science. My M, E, P, and S engineers dont have an issue working across versions. Architects, no problem. And, best yet, if they do accidentally open and upgrade they have the God given sense to not save...but oh, wait....Revit wont let you arbitrarily update a workshared model anyway so whoopty fucking do... And I have not even had my second coffee yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - but you assume that minimal competency (in Revit, or otherwise) is required before a firm will allow somebody access to their files.

    Our civil department had to finally resort to keeping all of their Civil 3D files set to 'read-only' to keep idiots from opening them and saving in Vanilla CAD (thereby wiping out all of the Civil 3D information), or scaling up their site plans (since they draw in absolute units).

    You also assume that those responsible for implementing Revit and setting up the models will actually have work sharing enabled (every time I mention doing it, I get some hemming and hawing).

    Doubtless, in the hands of competent staff with an ounce of concern for other people, Revit might not be so much of a skullfuck - but unfortunately... reality.

    Even if 99% of your staff is vigilant, all it takes is them handing some miniscule task to 'New Revit Boy', and voila.

    ReplyDelete