Monday, December 10, 2012

I'm using Revit!!! Somebody fucking stop me!!!

So I decided to spit out a small tenant office space finish out in Revit, just to show I'm a 'team player' and all.  I can't even count the number of ''ultimatums' I've been given, usually by people who don't understand (or can't comprehend) the design process.  I had imported 2d linework into a

I could've been halfway done with the project in ACAD by the time Revit got done loading, but I figured everyone else has said 'fuck productivity' and are all wasting time staring at their dicks until the last minute when someone goes 'holy fuck!  none of the 3d noodling we've been doing has gotten this project any closer to completion' and they have to cram all of the necessary additions, subtractions, and modifications into the last day or so (or for a following week, month, year, or more after the project is due - and I'm not fucking kidding) dragging everyone else along for the ride as their bad planning becomes our emergency.

I started a new project, linked in the Architectural model (just linked in the Mechanical model too - because eventually they will have information that I will need).  Managed to actually get the level set to where I could see the floor plan, and then went to work.

The first thing I needed to know was the load on the panel - because we were having to feed it from an existing panel, in a building where power is running out quickly (it's amazing how developers will take a space that was designed for offices and attempt to shoehorn in multiple medical facilities that use equipment with ridiculous electrical loads).

I started with the existing panel (that I had gone on-site to verify), and got it filled out, estimating loads for the existing breakers.  Slapped a panel into the new space, and fed it from a breaker in the existing panel.  So far - so good!  Well - other than that the new panel seems to want to attach to the centerline of the wall rather than be recessed (the wall might not be thick enough - but I can get someone to fix that).

I slapped receptacles and data throughout the space.  It took me a few minutes to convince it of how I wanted things to look (settings that seem to be unique to each project, and can't be preset in the template - hell, some won't even stay set from session to session).  I wasted some time trying to figure it out, got some tips, and eventually had something vaguely resembling an electrical power layout - complete with homeruns w/tags, wiring, circuit number tags on all of the receptacles, etc. - woo hoo!  I couldn't figure out how to get it to tag receptacles with their height, or to denote them as 'GFCI' type, but I accomplished that with some text.



Next I moved on to lights - I couldn't see the grid in the ceiling plan, so I went to a 3d view and laid out all of the lights in the grids that someone had slapped in them.  I was surprised when an Architect almost immediately came down to actually coordinate - since of course, their ceilings had to be adjusted.  I got everything re-aligned to the grid, figured out how to convince the ceiling plan to show me the ceiling, and wired up those lights too (I had already circuited them in 3d - why you can't lay out 2d wiring in a 3d view is beyond me - fuck, you should be able to do 99% of the job in the 3d view.

I'm about to tackle switches for the lights, then it's on to fire alarm devices.  This has actually been a long time dream of mine that I would come across a small scale project (that wasn't due at the same time as three other projects of varying scale/scope) that I could use as a 'proof of concept' to either say 'nope - Revit's still not ready' or to finally make the plunge (face first into the pavement).  I have to say, compared to all of my experiences trying to accomplish something with Revit, this has been the most productive, but (lest you think that I am now a brainwashed Revitbot), I can still say, fuck this fucking software, its developers, and its cheerleaders. 

For what is supposed to be Autodesks flagship BIM software, this thing still runs, functions, and looks like total ass.  I finally had to flip the background to black (I had done this in previous versions) to keep it from burning out my goddamned corneas, and I'm still working with the color settings to make it to where you can tell what is fucking what (done it previously too, but can't seem to find the setting right now... grr...)  Even if the damn thing can't plot correctly based on color, it can at least have more contrast that black and fucking white (or grayscale/transparent).

I found a guaranteed way of crashing Revit the other day, unfortunately I can't remember what it was now (I'll run across it again, and write a whole article on it, and stuff it up Autodesk's ass).  It had something to do with selecting multiple instances of something and trying to change something - it just ate itself.  No error messages, just 'bang' and it was gone.  Fortunately I didn't lose much work, or my computer case, along with the drive containing my copy of Revit, and anything still attached to it by cords would have been through my window and laying in the parking lot, while I used my phone to book a one way plane ticket to wherever Autodesk keeps its Revit 'development' team.

Now - the fact that I have been able to produce 'something' resembling electrical drawings in Revit is actually not due to anything I or Autodesk did.  A large amount of credit goes to the developers of the 'productivity pack' that my firm purchased in order to finally provide much needed Revit content that all works together.

See, Autodesk includes some content with the program - all of which sucks.  Many vendors and manufacturers have attempted to develop content of their products - most of which sucks.  The idea (I guess) was that everyone would develop their own content on an 'as needed' basis.  I have given the 3d editor some credit - but the 3d model is only a tiny piece of making a family that will insert, move, and function in all (or at least most) instances where it is needed.

The content that I have now is far from perfect, but at least it is something.  This was a shortcoming that I (and just about everyone else) complained about from day 1, and were roundly ignored, or told 'oh - it's coming'.  If they were going to put out a set of software and claim it is 'electrical design software' they needed to cover more than just the basics.  Hell - I never even touched the MEP portion of ACAD, but it appeared to be full of useful stuff for anyone that decided to use it (not sure if it was actually useful or not - but it was *optional*).

The only thing that has happened with the current project that was promised from day 1 is that it calculated my panelboard schedules (note: the schedules came from the content pack - not from Autodesk or a manufacturer).  While this is nifty, I can honestly say that I have never had a project delayed because of panelboard schedules - not once, not ever.  I can fill out and calculate schedules, while annotating electrical devices and lights in my sleep.  I can adjust and fix annotations just as easily, and while I won't claim to be impervious to making mistakes, I have never had one come back and bite me.

People who sit there and nitpick every watt in a panel - yes, they will have problems completing projects.  Someone who has determined a process for doing it quickly and easily (without resorting to spreadsheets or programs) will not.  I have said it several times, but when I am going through and circuiting/re-circuiting is when I find completely unrelated issues that need my attention because I AM INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS, rather than allowing it to be automated.  As I use Revit, I might become more sure of its ability to automate, which is when I will have given myself over - and it will promptly bite my fucking legs off.

I can fucking guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment