Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Revit MEP Faceplant Part II

So I've got this happy-ass little Revit model detailed out with some power/comm./fire alarm/lighting shit and some magical self-calculating panels.  Woo fucking hoo.  I actually felt good about it for a few minutes - then found out this morning that the HVAC system will be increasing in size (considerably), but actual information was not available yet.

It's only because an awesome guy took the time to inform me of this, AND stopped by with a copy of the schedule that they would be using to select units (from a previous project) - and I noticed they had the wrong voltage.  Now when I get the new information it will be correct, and I'll see if Revit will behave.

This brings us back to one of the first lies I was told in regards to Revit (right after I was told that it would 'calculate panel schedules' - but prior to the program actually being able to break loads down by type, fit more than two schedules per sheet, or work correctly), and that is how (in theory) Revit would assist me in anyway when it came to getting mechanical information for a project into my drawings.

First, it requires all of that information to be entered, correctly - but apparently the schedules in Revit suck just as badly on the mechanical end (even after this many years/releases), and so this information does not get entered - and the designers opt for schedules (which I'm all for - as long as I'm not being told that information is going to be somewhere, and not have it be there).

I've had (in the past) mechanical designers to all but shove my face into the Revit model (assuming that just because I refused to do electrical design in Revit that I hadn't checked to see what they had done), and been told 'you need to look at the Revit model, blah blah blah' and come to find out that the information that I would get by looking at their 'drawings' is missing, or worse - completely wrong.  I laughed directly in the face of at least one guy (and gave another one a little good natured hell) after they tried that shit on me. 

Fuck that shit - fortunately real engineers/designers are professionals and don't usually try to pull it.  Architects, on the other hand, will never pass up a chance to throw me under the bus by claiming that something was fucked up because I wasn't Reviting, only to find out it was their shit that was fucked up, and in a lot of cases - I'm the one who gets to point it out, because they had been staring at their model instead of their drawings.

Or more accurately - getting skullfucked by Revit instead of being productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment