Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Final Solution

When Revit sets the pace - everyone loses.

Someone posted a great line in the comments of a page I was reading aimed directly between the eyes of Revitbots everywhere - it basically said 'Why would Autodesk improve Revit?  They've already got you, and you aren't going anywhere'.  Their attitude of indifference when it comes to the people they fuck on a daily basis has been on display for everyone to see - making anyone who continues to use it complicit in their crimes against humanity. 

I spent some time doing the bare minimum in Revit for a fairly simple project (ha - there is no 'simple' anything in Revit) this morning, and finally figured out something that had been bugging me - I would try to rename a sheet view, and, like every time you try to type something in any of the fields in properties, it automatically opens a 'menu' to allow you to select items you may have already typed.  This is great if you are wanting to put the same piece of information in several places, but it starts to filter based on what you type, and if it can't find any matches - when you hit 'apply' it reverts back to what was in the box before.

In order to keep your changes, you basically have to click on another field, and it will automatically update - meaning the 'apply' button is only there to fuck up what you've typed (it even grays itself out after a few seconds - begging the question of why the fuck it is even there in the first place).  I had run into this several times - and had chalked it up to an intermittent problem.  Now I know better - it's just a piece of shit, like so many other things in Revit.

If I'm going through the 'Approved By', 'Designed By', 'Checked By' fields, I can type the engineers initials in the first field, and then use the pulldown to select the same intitials in the other two fields, but if I start typing - bang the automatic pulldown tries to match (or displays 'no matches') instead of just letting me type (frustrating when I'm trying to quickly jump from field to field - but instead, I have a pulldown in the way of the next field).

Anyway - minor issue, but just another pain in the ass when I'm in a hurry trying to set up sheets - which already require me to start a new sheet, have it default to a subheading under 'Sheets' labeled '???' instead of just asking me the discipline and sheet name right off the bat - fuck, it should just let me fill out all of the information instead of having to scroll down through a 81 field long list of 'properties' (with a glitchy as fuck control) which includes three fields each for SIXTEEN FUCKING REVISIONS THAT DON'T EVEN FUCKING EXIST YET in order to get down to where I can change the discipline and sheet sort order.

I've complained repeatedly about the way that so much stuff in Revit seems to be based on a 'do it wrong or put it some random place first and then fix it' workflow.  Views operate the same way - try to set up a new floor plan, ceiling, etc. (more on that in a minute) and it defaults to 'Coordination' instead of asking you (or - god forbid, when you are using worksets - GOING TO THE FUCKING DISCIPLINE RELATED TO YOUR WORKSET - although this is probably because it doesn't know that 'Electrical' workset means I'm doing Electrical Engineering).

Speaking of Electrical Engineering - I decided to use the Architectural model to do my work in - because in the past I've been able to save time by simply copying Architectural views and working in them.  Something has been fucked up in the last few projects I've worked on though.  I'm not sure if it's because of something that the idiot fucks that are setting them up have been doing (90% chance), or if it's because of something specific to the type of building, but half the time when I copy their view it looks fine - right up until I switch the discipline to 'Electrical'.

In this case it was a ceiling plan - and the Revitbot that set up the project first tried to tell me that it had something to do with phasing (it didn't), then tried to tell me that it was something in their template that could be tweaked for next time (it wasn't).  I finally broke down and asked the 'Revit Guru' and after looking at the file, he was able to do something to the underlay to make it show up correctly - well, I say correctly, but I still had to go in and change the underlay again to get a door to show up.

I was successful in drafting in 95% of the crap I needed to show - because fucked if I'm going to dick around modeling a bunch of shit that is:

1) Still in the DD phase.
2) Gains me nothing to show in 3D
3) Doesn't take into account existing field conditions.
4) Probably wouldn't get installed the way I showed it anyway - meaning that drawing a schematic to communicate design intent is all I'm trying to accomplish in the first goddamned place.

I've got a fuckload of other shit I needed to be doing, but I decided to jump on it due to Mr. 'It's something in the phasing' Revitbot whining because he had stuck his dick in the Revit pencil-sharpener to get the building (which, along with pretty much everything we needed to do, was already sketched out by someone else in ACAD) modeled and wanted some company in the sharpened pencil-dick ward of the Revit mental hospital.

While I've been dicking around with this - I ran across another useful piece of information while attempting to help someone else hone their dick to a point - provided by a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed (and incomprehensibly slow) Mechanical designer/Revit apologist on how to select individual elements from a linked model by clicking on 'select links' (the icon in the lower right with an arrow pointing at what is apparently supposed to be two chain links, but looks more like an infinity symbol) to turn off the red 'x'.

Despite his (possibly unintentional) condescending tone of voice while he was over-explaining how to do this, it was extremely helpful of him - which almost made me feel like a jerk when I informed him that 'Revit sucks dicks - and that's being nice about it' (my exact words) in response to his comment as he was walking off about how 'Revit isn't so bad'.

It's great that someone thought of putting an icon down there to give you the option of not accidentally clicking on individual items in a linked model - but there is no reason it couldn't prompt me to enable this functionality if I'm trying to click DIRECTLY THE FUCK ON a piece of equipment from that linked model instead of just sitting there with it's dick in it's hand.  My first inclination as it ignores my clicks (or attempts to tab to the piece of equipment) is that something is fucked up - and while it's great to know this functionality exists, it's yet another goddamned thing I had no way of knowing about, and have to remember for future reference (it also gives me one more reason to want everything in one model so linked shit isn't a fucking issue).

There is probably a ton of functionality within Revit that I am unaware of - but it becomes a moot point when everything on the front end is so fucking clunky, glitchy, and shitty-looking.  I'm sick of fighting the view settings, and trying to track down a solution to something (not always for myself) every time it decides to go tits up - and it's about to get someone's hands smashed with a hammer.

Fuck Revit, Fuck Revitbots, Fuck Revitards, Fuck 'BIM', Fuck Autodesk, and if you don't like it - go model yourself a massive dildo in Revit, send it to a 3D printer, and proceed to go FUCK YOURSELF WITH IT.

 Indisputably,
 -SkullFuck

I almost forgot - it's 'Web Gem' time - I can't seem to figure out when the fuck this douchebag posted this cock-slobbering nonsense, but 'Jason Hale' of 'Perry Crabb' licks the Revit ballsack raw:

http://www.perrycrabb.com/electrical-revit-time-saver-or-not/

His spurious claim that 'once you've managed to beat one project out of Revit, you will save time on future projects' is beaten only by the final line about 'every time Autodesk comes out with an update, it only gets better'.  My assumption is that this is from a while back (3-4 years), as most posts regarding Revit seem to be.

Next Time -More Typical Bullshit On Typical Units

No comments:

Post a Comment