Thursday, December 8, 2016

Battle Hymn of the Revitpublic



GUTEN TAG FUCKTARDS!!!

I've been in an inexplicably good mood lately.  Not having to use Revit or deal with Architects/Engineers - other than tangentially (and getting a raise) probably has a lot to do with that).

Then, out of the blue, some faggots start babbling about how awesome Revit is (see comments in: No Wonder This Revit Shit Eats Itself).  As you can see, I made the distinct mistake of trying to defend my attitude towards Revit, rather than simply reminding myself that anyone extolling the virtues of Revit is likely to have sustained multiple severe head injuries.

They will agree with me that Revit has "a lot of messed up functionality", and have run into times where they are "wasting hours trying to figure things out" or having to "fake it" (kind of like any women unlucky enough to find themselves on the receiving end of attempted penetration from their micro-penises), but  listening to them make excuses for Revit - and blaming themselves when things don't show up on a drawing (which is fine if they are only fucking themselves over - but when other people rely on your shit to be right, it's not fine) is a reminder of just how masochistic someone can willingly be.

One of my favorite bits was the claim that "when everyone is working in CAD, everyone is dumb, all the information is dumb, nothing is connected, and everything is manual input, unless you are using add-ins or other MEP functions with it, either way information is not typically active. You have zero ability to assign parameters to information, filter information efficiently, actively schedule information, or even assign formulas for schedules or blocks to add more intelligent useful information".

Holy Fucking Shit.

It's almost hard to believe that much bullshit can pour out of one person's brain - like they are repeating the Revit sales pitch they were given verbatim.  Now, in theory - some of these things are great 'it's all connected', yeah - until 'it's all fucked'.  Revit was ALLOWING people to fuck themselves (and by extension - me) into a hole in the ground on every single project - which is why I didn't really differentiate between Revit problems and user error.

So much of what was being done with Revit at my old firm was 'cutting edge', meaning that they were constantly experimenting with it - leading to all kinds of new and exciting ways for things to fuck up.  I knew the fun was about to start anytime I saw the Revit Buttfuckery Team huddled around somebodies desk discussing something along the lines of "we've determined that the way we've been doing things doesn't open enough people up to the risk of having their whole day wasted".

Another gem is "I have found if you use just about anything third party for Revit, especially for electrical, you are definitely going to be doing it the hard way".  So, in addition to being responsible for figuring out how to use Revit, I was now responsible for generating content as well - with little to no way of knowing whether something that I was doing wouldn't decide to fuck me later (as bad, if not worse than 3rd party content - or content included with Revit would).

The other problem being that I wasn't in control of what other people put into a model.  I had a mechanical designer who was convinced that (at some point) they would slap mechanical units onto a drawing and it would magically populate my panel schedule (he actually said this so many times, I was starting to question whether he hadn't been replaced by a recording).

By the time I left, I was still manually entering information into my panel schedules (CAD) or manually entering information into a disconnect switch (Revit).  Half of the time I would get their mechanical schedule, and immediately start spotting inconsistencies, errors, etc. (none of which I would've noticed if I just let a program fill shit out for me - and at least some of which the person making that schedule would have noticed if they were paying attention to scheduling units instead of expecting that to happen automatically as well.

Now - Revit vs. CAD stability.  Revit fucking crashes - that's just a goddamned fact.  It doesn't matter what kind of machine you have (the one I had before I left my last firm was a FUCKING BEAST), and while they might've managed to make it 'more stable' over time, I don't think there was a day that went by where I didn't have to deal with it locking up, throwing up some apocryphal error, or just plain eating itself.

Again, I had little to no control over how projects were started, especially after the 'one file for all' revolution.  When I would bring up problems with stability, they were consistently met with an indifferent 'yeah, it does that'.  Could one of you fucktards have been able to show them how to do it better?  Maybe. Maybe fucking not.

In the rare event that ACAD crashes, locks up, etc. (and it is rare), in the time it takes to fire Revit up and load a model, I can have CAD up, file open, and replace any work I've lost (15 minutes max between autosaves - which still always seems to be the most productive 14 minutes and 59 seconds of the day) and then some done.  Oh - and rather than 'putting my computer into a coma' pressing 'shift' while I pan does 3D orbit in ACAD - not that I ever need to do that.

Just this morning, I received a CAD file of a site plan for an almost 700,000 s.f. industrial building (that I had already designed systems for - and was waiting for the owner to quit fucking with the location of the guard shack/entrance gates so I could finish the project).  I had it cleaned up and ready to issue within an hour.  Revit wouldn't have even known what the fuck to do with it.  Then I dove back into the 164,000 s.f. middle school I've been working on for the last couple of days (after issuing a 267,000 s.f. high school earlier this week), and at no point did I think 'Revit would've improved my ability to do this job' (even if it worked as advertised - which it doesn't).

But hey, keep on assigning formulas for schedules or blocks to add more intelligent useful information - I'll be busy putting projects out the door.

Fuck Revit.

-S.F.

Next Time: Somebody probably tries to convince me I'm wrong.

13 comments:

  1. LMFAO. Man I feel famous now that I have a whole blog dedicated to bashing my comments. Thanks for that, it made my day. I almost feel like going back to AutoCAD now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was always a trip going back into ACAD - the first thing I would always try to do is bump things around with the arrow keys. A few minutes later I was like 'Holy fuck - this program doesn't suck donkey balls!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who actually just switch from AutoCrap to Revit, all of your statements are some of the dumbest things I have found on the internet. I just finished a project that they wanted a schedule just like you described. Instead of typing everything in like in the 90's I made a simple schedule and had it done in minutes. Have you ever thought that it may not be the software and may be the operator?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That did occur to me - then your mom occured to my balls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can actually nudge thing in Autocad by holding control and hitting the arrow keys. Might be shift and an arrow. Pretty sure it's control, been awhile since I have been in cad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must not know cad very well either. I can see now how revit would be so stressful for you.

      Delete
  6. It's ctrl+arrow keys - I was referring to just selecting an object and using the arrows as if I were still in Revit (which I obviously wasn't because I was actually selecting objects already and not waiting for a model to load).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have a shit ass computer, if just trying to select an object and its causing issues. You are running over 1gb of RAM correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learn some reading comprehension skills Max B(itch). Where did you see anyone say anything about selecting an object causing issues?

      Delete
  8. Tremendous post yet again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't believe people still defend Revit and it's ability to automatically fill out schedules. Have you ever actually done a project with Revit!? I am an electrical engineer and I have almost always had to go in and fix Revit panel schedules. At the very least, you have to go back in overwrite their simplistic load descriptions. Unless you are fine with the load description being simply "RECEPTACLE". But if you have anything other than a generic load (pretty much anything non receptacle or lighting), you will probably have to put in load points right next to your disconnects so you can properly circuit your loads. Finally, up until a recent update, if you had a panel schedule where you assigned every circuit to spare or space, "smart" Revit would think this panel is full and would not allow you to circuit to it. You would have to go to browse to the panel in Revit (which itself takes a long time) and delete spaces and spares to make room for your load. This is FUCKING INEXCUSABLE! It's' 2016! This is a functionality that could be probably be programmed in 1996. I am not even going to mention that this "smart" program doesn't even make an attempt to size your breaker for you. That is just way too much to ask for.

    Anyway, there is NO WAY that this is better than simply opening up a linked spreadsheet and typing in my load. NO FUCKIN WAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about Reviteers - Autodesk could tell them that the 2018 Revit release will include a pair of dog testicles that have to be placed across the bridge of their noses, and they would run around extolling the virtues of dog balls across your nose.

      Delete