Monday, August 7, 2023

Movin' On Up!!!

Greetings Fucktards and Fucktardettes!

So, a few weeks ago, I get a call from one of these 'talent' places that I regularly get calls and emails from - mostly offering me jobs based on keyword matches between the job listing and my resume (whether or not they actually line up in reality).

Even the jobs that I am qualified for are generally in other places that I'm not interested in relocating to, require extensive travel, or are with sketchy companies that I'm not about to hitch my wagon to as they crash and burn.

The first job they offered me was not a complete mismatch, but was more of an industrial engineering type of position. I turned it down, but after a quick discussion of what I have been doing for the last two decades they informed me they may have something that would be a better fit.

I was surprised when they actually presented me with a position that was not only in my wheelhouse, but would also be a return to my electrical design roots. I didn't take it terribly seriously at first - but then they started talking numbers and it made my head snap up.

Fast forward a few days and they had me set up for a 'Teams' interview that was technically supposed to be a preliminary interview to see if they wanted me to come in person. I was still only taking it half-seriously, as I was very comfortable at my current job.

I've always loved interviewing for jobs when I already have a job, and that morning I had gone to work early, taken off to do a yoga class, then parked my car near my office - switching into a dress shirt, tie, and suit jacket (to look my best) - while wearing a pair of jeans and old vans below the camera view.

The interview went spectacularly well, with the engineer, his right hand man, and a representative from the 'talent' place sitting in. It was a light-hearted affair, mostly discussing projects (successes and failures), and with me asking how they keep their clients under control, avoid 'scope creep' etc.

I was impressed, and started taking them much more seriously (I had also done some research into the company, and was stunned by the range of projects that they worked on). Apparently I also impressed them, as they basically offered me the job that day, offering an on-site interview as a formality only.

They asked when I could start, so I told them I would probably do a two-week notice with my current employer. My head was spinning, because I had become quite comfortable in my current position (the downside, ironically, being that I had become maybe a little *too* comfortable at my current position).

The promise of a massive increase in pay was enticing, but I was worried about a consequent increase in stress, and I didn't want to end up back in the type of grind I had gotten into before. One notable difference being that this would be working for an engineering firm, and not for an engineer at an architectural firm.

I sat down and made a list of pros/cons of staying at my current job, and a list of pros/cons of taking the new job - and finally made the decision to take their offer. I knew my current job would make some attempt to keep me - and holy fuck, did they ever.

Their counter offer was *massive*, just barely less than what the new job was offering, but I knew that it would be the last raise I would see for a while, and I was having to twist their arm to get it - whereas the new job didn't even blink when I asked for the going rate for a senior designer (plus the possibility of overtime - AND since it is a contract to hire, I'll most likely get what they are paying the 'talent' company after the year contract is ended and I go to work directly for the new firm). 

I broke the news that I couldn't pass up this opportunity, hoping that I wasn't making a huge mistake, and worked my two-weeks, knocking out a handful of projects, and wrapping up pretty much everything, ending a nearly nine year run with that firm. 

There was a little snag with getting the new contract started, but I convinced them to reimburse me over the next few checks (giving me a few days to relax), and had my official first first day today. The environment is quite a bit different, going from a private office to an open layout - but it is very relaxed. The engineer is laid back, and my new co-workers all seem to be pretty chill.

They only have one project using Revit, and their attitude towards it is pretty much the same as mine (that it is slow as fuck and sucks ass). Most of their clients prefer Bentley Microstation (which can also be slow and might suck a bit). Fortunately it sounds like they try to do as little modeling as possible, and stick to schematics (meaning ACAD will still be a mainstay - even if we end up dumping linework into a BIM file).

The biggest difference going into this phase of my career, is that I will 1) Be getting paid enough to give a fuck, and 2) Not be getting the 'bait and switch' I got from the firm I worked for that decided one day that everyone's eye sockets would suddenly become Revit dick receptacles. 

We'll see how it goes. 

In the meantime, fuck Revit, fuck 'BIM', fuck the people who worked tirelessly to make it a requirement for projects that gain nothing from using it, and (as always) if you don't like it - FUCK YOU.

Sincerely, 

-The Kinder and Gentler Skullfuck (for now). 

Next Time: ACAD all the way down! 

No comments:

Post a Comment