Wednesday, August 9, 2023

My God... It's Full Of CAD...

Yo!

Day three of the new gig - and it's fucking awesome so far!

I've been handed two projects to work on - and what do you know? I'm doing every goddamned bit of it in ACAD! 

Not doing an end run around the BIM-tards mind you - we're doing the design for these projects, and so we're going the most productive route that results in the most profit (with a side-effect being that our drawings don't look like unwashed assholes, and aren't riddled with errors as we desperately try to force p.o.s. software to do what we want it to).

I'm sure I'll eventually run up against a project that has BIM deliverables, but by putting the bare minimum of 3D elements into the model, and doing everything else the *right* way, I'll make sure to guarantee projects get completed on-time and on (or under) budget.

In the case of Microstation projects, I'll have the benefit of being able to use 'Visual' (the lighting program I've always used to design lighting) and have it populate the model with lights. In the case of Revit, it can literally go fuck itself, and I'll wrangle it as needed (and figure out 'workarounds' for everything else).

If I ever need to feel better about putting myself in the position where some Revit Dick Socket might fuck up my work flow (which kept threatening to raise its head at my previous job anyway) all I'll need to do is glance at my paycheck, and it shouldn't be a problem. 

I honestly do get the desire to have (and benefits of having) a 3D model of a project, but to reiterate for the millionth time - you are going to build the fucking thing in reality, and regardless of how much 'coordination' you try to do ahead of time, when you actually start building it, a lot of that careful planning is guaranteed to go straight to shit, resulting in the same scrambling to figure out solutions on the fly. 

THEN you get the added 'bonus' of having to try to integrate 'as-built' conditions into your model (generally based on some scribbled bullshit that various disciplines wrote on whatever piece of paper they had laying around) - which I'm sure some Revitard thought would be a way to make more money as they included 'as-built modeling' in their bid.

As I said, my co-workers all seem to have a negative view of the 'Revit-lution' and 'BIM' in general (even the younger generation), so I won't have to worry about being viewed as a 'hold out' (read: guy who just wants to get shit done some time this decade). 

I don't know how long I'll be at this job, but if this first couple of days is any indication, I'll be in it for the long run! 

In closing - Revit/Revitards can eat a bag of dicks.

-SkullFuck

Next Time: Rev-who? 

No comments:

Post a Comment