Monday, July 29, 2013

Redemption

Welcome back to another edition of the Revit MEP Skullfuck!

I've been allowing dickless fucktards to get me off track lately (that's what dickless fucktards are for after all) - but I recently received a massive project that (despite what Revit dick-sockets keep telling me about the inevitability of Revit) is not only in ACAD, but also came along with a large enough fee (due mostly to an extremely short lead time) to actually make a profit - and a tidy one at that.

It's about time, since the vast majority of our projects seem to end up in the hole as architects and their lackeys Revit even the simplest projects into oblivion.  In this case, they aren't going to be involved at all (thank god) otherwise they would almost certainly spend the entire fee (and the next decade) modeling it down to the gnat's ass.

This project will be taking most of my (and at least one other persons) time, however I still have a half-dozen other projects to work on in parallel with it, only one (well, technically two) of which are supposed to be in Revit (despite not having the fee or any reason to be), all of which will get completed in ACAD - and anyone having a problem with that will promptly be told to 'fuck off'.

If just this one project were in Revit, the schedule would be unattainable - even by a whole team of veteran Reviteers, while the others sat on the back burner.  Instead, they will all be completed, on time, and under budget.  Some people have expressed concern over whether or not this is possible - but I have to laugh, because I've been in this same situation so many times by this point that (while I am aware of how much work will be necessary) I am not the least bit concerned about my ability to knock them all out (and then some).

Some might feel confident enough in their Revit skills to say the same, and more power to them - just get that shit out of my face.

Next time: 'Why Revit has single-handedly been responsible for every disaster and atrocity in recent history'.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Skullfuck,

    Funny story: We were just working with a client who complained that our pipe would require all sorts of flashings and caulk because of all the roof penetrations our pipes were making. However, we had just not shown the pipe sloped, because, it really doesn't matter (unless it's waste piping, and even then...) since the contractor will install it correctly anyway. It's just one of those funny things about working in the program, when, you try to be fast, and remain efficient and profitable (and to do so you cut corners a bit, since most of our piping is laid out diagrammatically it doesn't matter to slope our DCW systems) ---- only to have your client take your model as literal design intent. OH WHAT FUN. Which is fascinating to me, because as consultants, unless we're developing shop drawings... all we do is diagrammatic. I mean. Seriously.

    I've been reading your blog for a while now, Mr. Skullfuck, and it is thoroughly entertaining --- and sometimes I think you've gotten inside my head (although not via skull fucking) when I read what you've ranted about.

    Our firm is trying to make a go of it, and while there's many cool things Revit MEP can do --- there are still so many short comings. I feel like architects who were over sold Revit, are forcing us MEP consultants to beta test the MEP version of the software. You can't correctly model/design multi-section panel boards in this software. WHICH IS SOMETHING WE DO ALL THE TIME. The list goes on. Agh. One of these days all the bugs will be ironed out.... and we'll have super awesome flexible design software....

    ....and by then there will be a new software platform Autodesk will want us to use instead :)

    Anyway, keep up the hilarity and brutally accurate accounts of using Revit. I love it. (Although I still love Revit... call me a masochist...)

    PS: One more thought.
    I think the best way to describe Revit MEP in it's current state is thusly: It's an under-archiving student who is obviously quite bright, and could do so much better if only he applied himself.

    --Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the feedback sir!

    You nailed it with 'literal design intent' - there is a certain amount of intentional vagueness in a schematic that allows for the project to get out the fucking door, and the contractor to go and do his fucking job!

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Skullf*ck

    ReplyDelete