Friday, April 11, 2014

What The Fuck Did I Just Do?

It's fairly common when working in Revit (what with all of it's bloated, unnecessary context sensitive ribbons, vast number of useless commands tied to various keys or shortcuts, shitty text selection and editing, and of course the way it just goes off into space sometimes) to make a mistake and have to fix it.

It has an excellent 'undo' feature (you can toss that into my previous post as #3), but someone neglected to include a mind-numbingly important aspect to it - the ability for it to take you back to where you were when you made a change.

Instead, you can make a simple mistake, hit 'undo' to fix it, but if you accidentally click it twice, it can undo changes you made in a completely different view - AND YOU DON'T KNOW IT HAPPENED. 

Now, it's not like I'm running around clicking 'undo' all the time, but that one time I hit it twice (seems to happen when Revit lags out, and I simply don't know it hasn't taken input - thanks to the lack of a text window like in ACAD that showed you what the program was doing at any given time).

While we are comparing - ACAD would also include pan/zoom into it's undo list, so if you hit it accidentally, you would first be brought back to the location where you had been working, and ONLY THEN have it start undoing what you have done in that location.

Revit includes every move I make with the 'bump' command, but can't switch me back to the relevant view before undoing things?  It does include an undo history - allowing you to undo some things out of order, but I hesitate to do that.  I tend to 'undo' back to my mistake, and then fix everything from there on out.

If that will be too time consuming, I will sometimes cut the pieces I've worked on since the mistake, hit undo until it's fixed, and then paste the work back in afterward (of course, this only works if you are drafting, and not modeling).

With all of this 'flying blind' in this program, not knowing if an accidental click or keystroke caused something to happen, some setting to be changed, or unknown amounts of work to be deleted (and that's before you get multiple users into the same model fucking things up left and right) it's no wonder it takes users obscene amounts of time and effort to get even a pathetic first draft of an (unbuildable) building out of Revit.

Now that I have been forced into using it for a handful of projects (pointlessly), I can almost guarantee it's going to fuck me over royally sooner or later.  For all I know there is already a project floating around out there where a single simple accidental click costs us thousands of dollars (or more), makes us look like idiots, and could even cost me my job.

You won't hear me blaming Revit that day though.

I will just start cracking heads.

FUCK REVIT.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot that undo is great unless of course you saved to central. Oh sorry, you saved the file when we asked you to? Nope, can't undo now. What the fucking fuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and I hate Revit. I am totally skullfucked with this crapware. In Sweden we call it Rövit. "Röv" means ass, so we call it Assit. Haha...fucked up fuckware. BIM my ass with Rövit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The entire Architecture community here has ingested the Kool-Aid now. And finding myself between jobs now, I am going to have to embrace it in order to continue. Everybody now requires Revit proficiency. [Except, as you so ably document, this concept is elusive, or fictional.] You have to give Autodesk some props, making an end run around the users/customers to convince clients and building owners to demand its use. Diabolical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johan gets it - I need to remember to upload my photoshops of Autodesk 'Fuckit' and L. Ron Hubbards 'Revinetics'.

    Ryan - What do you expect for $5K a seat? Magic? :P

    Clark makes me want to fake a resume and get an interview with an architectural firm just so I can show up in a Revit suit (complete with Revit tie) and tell them I am a Revit wizard from the far-off realm of Jersey City...

    ReplyDelete