Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Revitards, Their Retarded Revit Models, And You - A Tale Of Skullfuckery

Fuck Revit and everything it stands for.

I've been watching with barely concealed amusement (mixed with disgust) as yet another project gets drug down into the Revit hole.  Inexplicable amounts of time have been spent by incompetent morons in order to piece together what can barely be considered a shell of a building, leaving the people dependent on having a workable model struggling to fill in the gaps.

As is the case on many of our projects, we have a large amount of information coming from a third party - and, as usual, it is a mess of incomplete/contradictory nonsense that required deciphering before we could even determine what it was that was missing, and even after pointing out the errors, having to wait while this third party struggled to fix/update their drawings.

Of course, this information comes to us in ACAD format - which is still the industry standard for the vast majority of equipment vendors (as well it should be).  Combine the process of pointing out glaring oversights to the people who are supposed to 'specialize' with  Revitards who are unwilling (or incapable) of properly integrating and updating layouts, and it drags the whole process to a stop.

Attempting to contact the equipment manufacturers can often lead to even more questions as the vendors do not provide complete (or even remotely correct) model #'s, and many of the pieces of equipment have so many options (none of which are being selected by me) that the requirements can vary widely.  Their websites also tend to be useless, providing little to no electrical information.

Even once I have managed to verify the actual equipment requirements - determining the location(s) of that equipment becomes a nightmare as they are often tagged incorrectly on the plans (and that's before you get to things changing multiple times throughout the course of a project).  THEN I run into Revit refusing to allow me to place devices where I need them.

This is often because the model is set up incorrectly - and is a mix of actual 3D elements, 2D Revit linework, and inserted ACAD linework.  The irony is that at the beginning of a project (before a Revit model has even been started), we will receive a building layout that would be sufficient for me to do the whole fucking project front to back with nearly zero input from the revit model.

Eliminating the Revit roadblock from the process means I can focus on the electrical design, rather than wasting time trying to figure out what the Revitard has done (or hasn't done).  It gives me complete freedom to do my schematic design instead of fighting tooth and nail to produce a barely passable set of construction documents.

I've mentioned before how coordinating with third-party ACAD files (and thank god they are ACAD files because how the fuck are you going to coordinate with a third party Revit file?) becomes infinitely easier when I can manipulate both the building floor plan and third-party equipment plan, integrating them (along with my schematics) into a seamless set of documents.

They can easily be viewed side-by-side - or layered over the top of each other (without it turning into an incomprehensible mess).  Conflicts can be seen and dealt with, and most important of all - SHIT CAN BE OVERRIDDEN.  I don't personally give a fuck if everyone else's drawings are hopelessly broken, but mine will not be.

These people have shown time and time again that they cannot be relied on to do anything correctly, and I will be damned if I will allow them to fuck me over, force me to have to redo things (any more than I already have to), or suck me down into the hell they have built for themselves.  They can all go fuck themselves.

And if you are responsible for developing or propagating Revit in any way - you can go fuck yourself too.

Sincerely,
Skullfuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment